Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Fun Facts - The British Royal Family

On Wednesday I along with my mother kept up a family tradition with my  daughters by introducing them to being a royalist when we went to the walkabout in Singapore of The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge (Prince William and Catherine Middleton)

As an Australian whose mother immigrated from the UK she was bought up respecting the British Royal Family which was then passed down to myself and now the next generation. 

It is great to think that the girls had this experience even if they won't remember but can share my memories it is just like I was a young child and saw the late Princess Diana on her visit to Australia in the 1980's. 

And the best part we did catch a glimpse and even got a smile and wave very exciting!

So I decided to do a Friday Fun Facts on the British Royal Family.

Hope you enjoy and learn something new.

- At 100 you receive a letter from the queen if you are part of The Commonwealth so did the queens mother receive the official letter when she turned 100? Who knows but she certainly was old enough passing away at 101.

- When Prince William becomes King his wife Catherine will be the sixth Queen named Catherine.

- The royal family had always done a lot of radio (remember the movie The Kings Speech) and in 1961 Prince Phillip the queens husband was the first member of the royal family to be interviewed for Television.

- The queens son Prince Andrew could play professional golf as he has a handicap that would qualify him.

- The royal family don't have last names.

Happy Play Times :-)

2 comments:

  1. My mom was from Northern Ireland and moved to the States to marry my dad, so I know about growing up with respect for the Royal Family! For the royal weddings of both Diana and Sara we were up at 4 am sitting in front of the tv in bathrobes! Thanks for sharing - reminded me of those fun days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,
    Thanks for the comment.
    Great to hear from another child of a royalist mother :-)
    Glad it bought back memories.
    Best Wishes Laura

    ReplyDelete